During our house exchange in Reconquista, Argentina, at Roberto’s , (see our article on hospitality exchanges ), I was able to share cooking with Nelly, her cook. And, in an exchange of good practices, she traded her recipe of family empanadas, against my recipe of leg of lamb mustard on potatoes. And here we go for a workshop making em p anadas, made in Argentina, in 2 versions, salty and sweet(but sweet attention, does not mean dessert …. You’ll see).
The empanada is an institution of family cooking and especially street cooking in Latin America.
Each country has its version; for my part, I will present an Argentine version, but the advantage with empanadas is that it’s like bricks, we can try all the experiences and personalize in his image.
So here we go,
I present you Nelly,
who gave me the honor and kindness to open my kitchen.
She has been living at Roberto’s for a few years, and takes care of the house, but mostly cooks.
But before that, she did cooking classes and worked in a restaurant for several years.
She keeps this recipe from her family.
2. Brown peanut oil, onions, garlic and peppers to the limit of the compote; salt and pepper a little (but not too much because this stuffing will also serve sweet empanadas)
3. Cook the chopped meat ed in a saucepan with a little water until the meat took a gray color (you can also fry in oil, but the result may be more fat, or in a little veal stock if you want to flavor it … .. do your tests, you will see)
4. Then mix the meat with the onion / garlic / peppers compote and chopped spring onions (or chives), then season with 2 pinches of cumin, 2 pinches of chilli powder (paprika, Espelette or other depending on what you have available). ); salt and pepper, always slightly
5. Divide the mixture into 2 equal parts
That’s it, you have your base, and as its name suggests, it’s a base, so you can adapt it to suit your desires, your tastes; that one is simple and good, but all combinations are possible.
To decorate the salted stuffing, you must:
- add half the hard boiled eggs, the finely sliced black olives and the chopped parsley to the previous stuffing
- then finish by readjusting salt and pepper to your liking.
To embellish the sweet stuffing, you must:
- add raisins, and 2 cases of powdered sugar
- If you like cinnamon, it can be welcome
- finally readjust salt and pepper as needed.
That’s it, everything is ready; all you have to do is to set up the empanadas and cook them.
During assembly, consider preheating your oven to 200 ° .
And to facilitate the mounting of empanadas, you can also place the dough broken for about twenty minutes in the freezer to make it stay better.
Either you mount them by hand ( see the video demonstration ),
either you have a practical tool,
which will save you time.
do not forget to coat the empanadas with egg yolk
to make them golden, then bake them.
The cooking time varies from 10 to 15 minutes depending on your oven; the ideal is to return them half-way through so that the dough is golden brown evenly.
Once cooked, remove the empanadas on a serving platter to allow them to cool a little (otherwise, be careful the burns) take advantage to prepare a small salad that will make a very good accompaniment.
And especially enjoy yourself !!!!!
With Nelly, we have eaten to burst belly, sweet, salty; mix them in the dish, and each time you take one, it will be a surprise.
This recipe of empanadas Argentina, can serve you bases; experiment with varying spices, meats (or even fish); anyway, it will be good